Friday, November 27, 2009

24 November 2009 - Dia de accion de gracias

Hello Family!

It's almost Thanksgiving. And that subject line phrase is how you say it in Spanish. Learned it last week.
But. . . you know you're a missionary when - Holidays become bothers! I don't have family to spend it with, less people want appointments that day, and we just work like normal. Kind of funny! It really has bothered me as we've been planning. Missionaries don't need holidays. And I remember there was one while I was in the MTC. We had no idea. But the mailroom was closed...bummer.

So Mom, on Thanksgiving, we'll do everything like normal. Three families have mentioned feeding us... we'll see. Our back-up plan is KFC :)

So, news from this week. My companion is doing great. Today she found out her dad had a stroke over the weekend but he is okay now. Not usually a good thing when Pres. Brady calls out of the blue at 7 am in the morning :) I have great missionaries in my district. They are hard-working and good leaders. We had a good district meeting last Wednesday. Hna Talbot and I gave a little training then Elder Barron (district leader) then Elders Felkner and Ward (zone leaders). On Wed I also had a funny moment. Was opening a front gate and say the "Beware of Dog" sign so turned to Hna Talbot and asked if the lady really had a dog. Turn back and there he is almost level with my face. Dropped the latch and jumped back. He scared me! Came and put front paws on the fence so quietly. It was really funny. He was a nice dog, though.

I found out that Hna Talbot is the oldest Spanish-speaking sister in the mission. He he! I've got the most experienced missionary as my trainer :) And yesterday she said something that cracked me up. I've decided it's how I'll always remember her (or try to anyway) -- "There's a Sharpie for everything." And she has them all, pretty much. Sticky notes too. Ha ha. The little things that make life great.

Yesterday we did a LOT of walking. Just to conserve on miles. And it worked out well. We got lots of contacts, more than the mission standard and our goal. And we were nice and tired at the end of the night so slept well. I felt more like a regular missionary. But the car is nice. Especially with our big area. Speaking of area, I'll give you the zip code where we live in Oceanside. 92054. But we cover southern Oceanside and all of Carlsbad.

Zone conference is coming tomorrow. Hurray! I was enlisted to play the piano. {Nervous face} A special musical number and the opening hymn. Oh goodie! We'll arrive 15 mins early so I can practice. Sure wishing for a keyboard or something right now. (And no Mum I don't want the hymns made easy book. But thanks! If you find some simple piano solo music that would be very helpful. For tomorrow I'm just playing a hymn and an elder will sing. We'll see how it goes.....)

The ward members are still taking care of us. I haven't really had much interesting food. Definitely not compared to Taiwan - yet. But it's possible. Had a certain meat they eat a lot. Don't know how to write the name. It's good. Eat it with tortillas and rice and lots of other stuff. One member did give us some vegetables that are like cacti. Don't remember the name either. Sorry...not doing so well on the details!

Thanks for all the news about your week. It sounds like lots of fun! I love the impromptu trip to the REAL game. I'm sure it was grand. And the pictures were great. It's nice and sunny here :) I've become a bit of a wimp and wear a sweater and a dress jacket in the evenings for longs walks. he he.

I'll have to see on the photos. I know you really want them but we don't have much time at all. We have to clean everything really well today since our apartment and car will be inspected tomorrow during zone conference. And yes Dad the idea of dropping prints off is great. (but not for missionaries) But Wal-mart is down in Carlsbad and we have many other things to take care of. P-days are just packed! I think I'll send my memory card home soon. And I need to take more photos. Of me and Hna Talbot.

Mom, the gift cards are good ideas. But only if I'm in this area at Christmas time. Lots of areas don't have all the great stores this area has. In fact, I don't think any of them have a Target...maybe a Wal-mart. So I would say 'no' to the gift card idea. Don't know for sure that I'll stay in this area. It's just highly likely.

Thanks so much for the updates on the births! Crazy about Lacy. She always wanted to do things naturally but then an emergency c-section. I'm hoping she'll send info about it herself. It was a few weeks ago?
Ah *sigh* I'm on a mission, not dead. The mail system works great. But a big thank you to the family. I've received postcards. And mom's letter on Sat. and Chez's today. They make me happy so thanks~! And a fabulous elder from my MTC district sent me JJ's dearelder letter that must have arrived the day I left the MTC. Thanks Elder Green! I received it three weeks into the mission field experience :) But I did get it.

I can't think of anything else to share at this moment. Life as a missionary is busy and great. We are doing well. And working hard.

I love you all!

Love,
Hermana Green

No comments: