Monday, December 14, 2009

8 December 2009 - Out searching for troublemakers, swine flu, & rain . . .

Hello family!


Greetings from Southern Cali. The weather isn't super great but it's much better than what you and Hna Talbot's family are experiencing. I'm happy where I am :)
So, explanation of the subject line. On 2 Dec we were in the area where we first met the local gang members and I mentioned maybe we should go find more of them to talk to. Hna Talbot said: "out searching for the troublemakers". I laughed and wrote it down in my planner to share with you. Then this morning our study schedule was interrupted and we got a free swine flu shot at a clinic by our house. The day just feels off now, but it's all good. We are protected :) I've had 2 flu shots this year when I've never had any before! And finally - rain. It rained yesterday! (We prayed it wouldn't rain on Sunday so an investigator would come to church and Sunday was a beautiful day.) It was fun and we got some laughs out of it. Hna Talbot dropped her umbrella at one point so I went after it then the wind blew mine the wrong way out and I'm sure it looked hilarious from a 3rd person point-of-view! In the evening the rain had stopped but it was really windy. And at one point the wind turned my hair into a tornado (sort of). I felt it all lift up and swirl around me. Wish I could've gotten a picture! I'm sure it looked cool.

Mom, thank you so much for the package. It was little and PERFECT! It just needed one piece of candy and it would've been enough for Christmas. The 2 pairs of mittens was great. I was confused at first. Then I realized Hna Talbot needs some too. And yesterday we were both very grateful for them in the rainy weather. So thank you! From both of us.

Dad, I remember visiting with Pres. Lowe. I don't remember his wife as well since I was little. We are blessed to have great leaders and examples in our lives. I LOVED the toilet pictures. Showed them to Hna Talbot and she laughed too. Nice one!

Mom, very exciting news about Tiffy! I was wondering if they would have another little baby....maybe a girl?! Wait, I won't be there for any of it. sad. I'll keep Patrice in my prayers - thanks for the update. And a picture of their new little guy would be appreciated. (via e-mail is fine) Great to hear how the ward is. President did bring up my meds and asked if they were helping, hurting, or the same. I sort of evaded it and said I'm managing things (so I didn't have to say I'm not really taking them :) And we currently have 2 senior couples serving in the office. The Puseys and the Bolanders. They're great.

We just work with one ward - the Spanish ward. But it covers the whole stake and that's why we have such a large area. 2 sets of missionaries for the entire stake boundaries. I have not had to speak in Sacrament meeting yet. That would be interesting - I'd keep it short and sweet. We have district meetings every week, like all missionaries. They are good training moments. They had an activity a few weeks ago but we didn't make it. They will have one today too but we won't make it. Have to go to the car dealer to get the tools that should be in the back of the car to fix flat tires....we have nothing. As Elder Pusey said "Elders, what did you do with those tools?" Ha ha. They send in sisters to clean up the messes made by elders!

It is the last week of the transfer. So strange. Things are going great and it is odd to think there is a possibility of being transferred to a new area and/or a new companion. But neither of us thinks it will be that way. I'll let you know next week!

You want to hear about our investigators? Okay. We are teaching a lady named Belem and she has been taught for quite a while. She really has a desire to be baptized but is struggling with living some of the commandments. We are doing what we can, but it really comes down to her finding a way to live them all. Hopefully she will be able to be baptized in January. She calls me 'Verde' and commands me to speak periodically. She's funny.

We are teaching a young boy named Andy and he is excited to be baptized, but his family has not been keeping their appointments with us :( We found them at home on Sunday night but it became an awesome/strange situation that was thrown at us: we went with them to a friend's house and taught the friend the first lesson about The Restoration. Say what? That is exactly how it is supposed to be! Member referrals and they fellowship the person and help us teach them. It just rarely happens so it was a surprise. It was great though. The man (youngish 20's or 30's) is called Ulysses (no clue on the spelling for the Spanish pronunciation) and very geniune and listened attentively. Pretty exciting. Andy would like to be baptized on Dec. 26 but that probably won't happen on that day since we have more things to teach him and they need to attend church! (His mom and brother are members but were offended some time ago and stopped going to chruch.)

And we're teaching a woman named Sandra who is pretty golden. But she is just visiting from Mexico and is going to Chula Vista today and may not come back :( She came to the very end of Sacrament meeting and stayed for the rest of the meetings. It was a great surprise. She is really open to learning. Love her already.

And we have other investigators, some of whom aren't doing much. I'm sure JJ and Aub and all the other missionaries know what that is like! I'm pretty much out of time. Thanks for all your love and support! It is great to be a missionary and share the joy of the gospel with others. I read Elder Holland's conference talk again and it's so great. God loves us so much and manifests it in many ways.

I love you! Keep being good member missionaries while I work at being a great full-time missionary.

Love,

Hermana Green

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet missionary. Wish I could be a mouse in the corner - or in her pocket - and watch her at her work.

Love,
G. Barlow