Wednesday, February 10, 2010

9 February 2010 - Dia de San Valentin

Hola Familia!

Como estan todos? Todo esta bien aqui conmigo.

Ok, I'm done with that. No accent marks so it just looks (and is) wrong. Life is great! As you've read, I had to do a little footwork and now I have a new e-mail program. I feel like I just came out of the dark ages! It's sweet. (And Dad it might have spell check :) )

So for this lovely week we were able to enjoy Ward Conference. And we went to the fireside the night before where the second counselor in the mission presidency spoke. I chuckled periodically throughout his address because he was a mission president in Spain and speaks with a "theta". It just sounds wrong to me! But it was great. And we had delicious food before, and took some home too. Mari, Vianka, and Karla were able to attend and I think it was great for them. They Stake theme for this year is "point your life toward the temple" and so they talked a lot about the temple. I LOVE the temple! We should get a chance this transfer to go. I'm really excited! I've been starving for it - like a temple-drought. And I studied about the temples Sunday morning in my studies. They are just such incredible blessings. Everyone: live worthy of or to make temple covenants. That's what this life is all about! If we do that, we can be saved and receive eternal life. So incredible!

We've been doing better on getting the mission standards. Hna Davis has a apparently inherent fear of talking to everyone so we've struggled to get the standard for contacts (people you talk to and invite to come unto Christ in the street throughout the day). I'm doing okay - I'm more normal in that area. Still have moments where I don't want to talk to everyone.

Hilarious moment: Hna Davis got "mailboxed." Honestly and truthfully. I saw it out of the corner of my eye and it was AMAZING. She ran into a mailbox with her shoulder and kind of bounced back. Wish I had it on video! It was a dark street at night and I don't know what other reasons she might give :) It was even better since we have to dodge palm tree leaves as we walk along the sidewalk and the days before we had talked about being "palmed". Mwah ha ha. Her mailbox moment was so hilarious we had to stop walking so I could just bust up laughing and then regain my composure.

Thanks for the updates on the family. Glad to hear everyone is doing so well. I'm so excited for Isaac!! Ah, another missionary in the family. Sa-weet. Speaking of, any updates on Sister Oliphant? Haven't heard from her since I've been out but sent a letter a while back. Give everyone my love the next time you see them.

Yes the missionary world is small. Especially when there are only 10 Spanish-speaking sisters serving!! Gotta love it.

About my language ability - I feel that it is improving. But I still have lots of moments of not being able to convey what I want. I speak quite a bit of Spanglish, honestly. I made up a word last night in the appointment with the Arangos. Sometimes that works - this time it didn't. At all. But Mari understood what I meant. :) Yes, I learn a little more each day. I study the language for an hour most days. And I learn as I go. Just today Hna Davis said my retention is really good and that helps me. I feel like it isn't as good as it used to be in my student days. But it's holding strong and I'm able to communicate. How much Spanish do I speak in a day? Well, nearly all the people we talk to are Spanish-speakers (at least that's what we try for!) then we teach all our lessons in Spanish. I can't give you an exact amount. Most of our talk in the companionship is English. Does that answer your question sufficiently?

I think that is about all for today. I hope everyone is doing fabulously well!! I will print some pictures today and send them to you. And probably another cd for the past 2 transfers with my trainer. Keep 'em safe please.

Love you!
Hermana Green

No comments: