Wednesday, May 19, 2010

18 May 2010 - I HAD a funny subject line . . .

Hola Familia!

I'm sorry about the subject line. I remember having thought of one that I really liked. It's gone now.

So - things are still fine here in Mission Viejo. We have 6 investigators with baptismal dates and they are all pretty solid. Hurray! 3 investigators were at a baptismal service of the elders this Sat evening which was great. And 3 investigators were at church. Yeah. Also, yesterday we had interviews with Pres. Brady. It was like having companion study as I asked a question about contacting (talking to people in the street) and he had me practice then he practiced and demonstrated. He he. It was good. He also used a metaphor that really made me laugh: he said "I was thrown into the deep end of missionary service without having much swimming practice." Pretty funny, eh? He said again he's pleased with my growth and progress and thanked me.

Great invitation on keeping the language Dad. I guess I'd better confess - family, I love Spanish more than English. I don't expect to spend much time at home after I return before I move to a Spanish-speaking country. But we shall see! I really don't know how things will work out. I just want to learn 'real' Spanish and be able to talk about all things. And it is just a great language and better than English. So.

Shantaye! Como fue so dia de cumpleanos? (How was your birthday?) Man, that looks all wrong without accents. I hear from M & D that it was pretty great. Yeah. It is CRAZY you are a teenager now. I think you'll never listen to me when I say "slow down and stop growing." Oh well. I'll love you always because you are my best sister.

Chez - how much more schoolwork? You can count the days now I think. Wow. I'm not sure how different summer will be with my daily life. Now the Moms can't tell us to come when their kids are in school - weird. And it will be TONS hotter - ah.

Dad - Hna P feels like we should both use the $20 you sent her to enjoy something. Yes or no? She says: what's mine is yours and what's yours is mine. It's basically true in missionary life :) She was happy about it, but maybe it wasn't super easy to accept. I don't really know. And now you sent more -- we shall see what she says! She did make herself really small in the pic and it cracked us up. She loves to do cartoons which is a fun random hobby.

Well, I can't think of tons more to share with you. It has been cloudy and misty-rainy the past few days. We were going to attend the temple today but that was changed. And we were going to have a district activity and celebrate Elder Nielsen's birthday and Hna P's 6-month anniversary, but that was cancelled. We are a little sad. And we still might buy the cupcakes we had planned on!

We were able to be consistent and diligent this week so we achieved Jericho's Warriors. But just barely. And "finally" as Hna P says. We are striving to learn and improve each day. It's not always easy to do the work. But we know it is the Lord's work and He helps us all along the way. I know the Book of Mormon is true and I love studying it. I don't know what it will be like to not have 2 hours of gospel study and 1 hour of language study each day. That sounds so sad. Therefore, all of you can do 10-15 minutes of scripture study daily! :)

Familia Magana loves us now. The mom and daughter came to the baptismal service and church and an FHE yesterday. Then they asked us to visit their home afterward and they gave us food. They have a baptismal date and are doing well. Yeah! And now they have friends in the ward. That really is so essential. I hope you are welcoming to all the newcomers in our home ward. Just be their friends for that is what they need!

Well, I love you all. Thanks for the love, support, and prayers. And thanks Dad for the only letter I received this week with great family pictures!

Love,
Hna Green


PS Haircuts are approved in the budget according to my missionary handbook. No, we can't stay late even for ward activities. Only if we are teaching a lesson and then we are in by 9:30. Apparently other missions are so different about the rules in the handbook! I'm grateful to be where I am with Pres. and Sis. Brady.
Attendance at sacrament meeting - letter from the 1st Pres saying they must attend a couple of times so really it is up to the missionaries to decide. They just have to fully repent and show they are willing to keep their covenants. Around here, we often say 3 or 4 times minimum.

No comments: