Tuesday, May 4, 2010

4 May 2010 - "It takes a special person to cook a cactus"

Hola Familia!

Hna Pechin's quote is my subject line for this fine week. She would like me to embroider that on a pillowcase for her (after the mission, naturally.) I'm seriously considering it :) Maybe just cross stitch though - it's easier.

Thanks for all the updates from home. Sounds like all are flourishing which makes me really happy. It makes it easier to "forget myself" and do the Lord's work. I love you all! Glad Mum and Dad are fine, even though the van isn't. Made me so happy to see a picture of it - oh the memories.

We had a pretty good week. Hna Pechin called Sis. Brady and told her I was still sort of sick (I went through an entire box of tissues in one week) and an abrupt, helpful doctor called and asked questions. So then he gave me an antibiotic and I finished it Sunday. Amazing how much better I feel! I didn't even realize I was dragging so much. Hna Pechin loves it too :) So no worries there. And there was LOTS of Vitamin C and sunshine yesterday. It was HOT and it's just going to get better. *sigh*

Zone Conference was pretty great. We talked about the doctrine of Christ and how the improvement we need to make as a mission: invite people to be baptized in EVERY lesson. It is a great goal that makes me really stretch because I have to teach better and help them understand the importance. It has been going well. We set another baptismal date from Hno Jorge Pacheco for 3 July. He didn't like the first date we said so we moved it back a touch and he said "yeah okay." He is goofy and makes us chuckle. He's very happy. So now we have three individuals with baptismal dates. Hno Octamendez did not come to church :( even though we had a good lesson with him Sat. night. We have another lesson planned tonight. Members are being really helpful even though we sometimes have headaches getting them on board to help us (we have to have another sister at all appointments with him - rule of missionaries). And Hna Ana Magana is doing okay. Not reading like she needs to. We tried to visit yesterday but she was busy.

Census workers have been going house to house here to count all our Spanish-speaking friends. Before, I never would have understood just how essential that is! I wish them the best of luck. Often people don't even know who their housemates are.

We have a new Ward Mission Leader, Hno Santos, and he is really excited about the work which is so great. He makes us excited. The Bishop asked Hna P and I to sing in Sacrament Mtg next Sunday. And he suggested we enlist help from YW....so we did :)

PHONE CALL - we haven't talked to any members yet about using their phone (we sort of forgot until Sunday evening). So we attend church from 1 to 4 pm. And we eat at 5 pm usually. And we can't interrupt our work schedule with the calls ... it will be tricky. I'm guessing we'll be calling around 4:30 or 5. But I'm not certain. I still have the phone card and it hopefully has sufficient funds on it. (PS I'll remember to dial 1-801 not 1-800) It will be great to talk to you so you can be super happy.

The $10 was returned to the ground while the nickel was added to our change collection in our car. We've got a fair amount. Hna P finds an average of 2 pennies each day. Maybe we'll buy snow cones from our friend in the neighborhood we work in lots.

Yikes, almost out of time because you had long, wonderful e-mails this week. Well, I love you all. This is the Lord's work and it is a privilege and wonderful challenge to be part of it. Thanks for all your love and support!

Love,
Hna Green

No comments: