Thursday, August 5, 2010

3 August 2010 - Busy lives and happiness from the gospel

Hola Familia!

Thanks so much for your e-mails and all the updates. Sounds as though all are still super busy. Me too! Well, yep. That's life. And I LOVE how the gospel can solve our problems and make us happy - even though we have such individualized problems and concerns. I LOVE the temple and really want to go as Hna Goff and I learned a few more things related to the temple today in our studies. Please go for me! Hopefully I'll be able to go in the next months. Also, I've felt inadequate lately, but I know Heavenly Father loves and supports us. There are so many amazing promises in the scriptures and in our personal scriptures (patriarchal blessing). I love how we can continually study them and re-learn. Many times I have to re-learn things!!

Hno Hernandez finished reading the entire Book of Mormon for the first time this week. Oh yes! After 30 years of knowing the church. (Mum, he's in his 50's). His baptismal date of 14th August probably won't work. I had a time of sadness when we realized this. But he is very close and I hope to be here when it happens (but the travel bug in me is a-itchin' to move and change!) Hopefully in August just before the transfers. Yes, it would be the first time to attend a baptism of someone I've taught - the only other one was for the Arango family.

I'll pass your thanks to Hna Z. She is still fabulous. She is helping me learn to love the Bible more. We've had some great moments with her. and I remember I wanted to tell you that when she prays with us in lessons she always gives thanks for our families! She's just so great. I'm excited for you to know her. PS Are there any MoTab CDs in Spanish? I'm sure she'd love one of those.

To send to Hna Goff....I really don't know. She doesn't like accepting things from others - very independent. But she is very good at budgeting. None of her family uses e-mail so no she doesn't receive anything from them weekly. I don't think she has received a letter from anyone in the family since we've been together. But she writes to her parents faithfully each week (they are divorced and re-married.) She does have one family that is supportive - they sent her a new bag this week and it's a great one! And I don't know what to tell you to send her...she wants basic spices and such so she can cook but that isn't really good for mailing :) she needs stamps but will buy some today.

Mum - yeah for haircuts!! How is Kristie? I've thought of her a few times lately. My cute is a cute A-line. nice and short for hot summer weather. And the stylist told me not to be afraid of saying "no" because the more I shake my head, the more volume I have. (I did it the first day or so but then was getting a headache so haven't lately :)

Ha ha. Elder Shawkey. That was pretty hilarious. We were walking through the parking lot headed to an investigator's house and a young man leaves his car and says "hi sisters." We stopped to shake hands and he gave his name and that he recently returned from Mexico. I said "no way. My brother too." He asked where and I told him then he said "no way" and looked closely at my name tag. Then he laughed and said "E. Green was one of my best friends in the mission! He was just at my house." I smiled and chuckled. It's a small world. He talked about how he had wanted to look me up when JJ was here visiting, but JJ told him "Nah, she's old school. Something about not breaking the rules." >That's right little bro! that is a very specific rule in the missionary handbook. I love you tons but can wait 8 more months to see you. And I need the blessings from being obedient!!< So he said he would go call JJ right then and tell him. I smiled and said okay and we went on to our appointment. I think that's about how it went down. JJ, you were in that area of Laguna Hills? Crazy.

We had a baptismal service on sunday evening for an Hna that the elders taught. It was a very happy event. Hno Hernandez attended and Hna Z arrived late with her husband. Sadly, she missed the actual performance of the ordinance. The ward was supportive and they are embracing her very well because she's so open and easy to be embraced and loved! Hno Hernandez is being fellowshipped more as well as the members learn he isn't baptized but is learning and very close. We had a fun FHE with him and his great niece and nephew that live with them. The children behaved really well which goes to show they just need guidance and direction! Then we ended playing dominoes :)

And Grace, the little girl in Familia Magana's home, said a good prayer all on her own when we visited and taught them this week. It was super precious. She said she wanted to say it and so she went ahead and did. YES! We've really helped that family if only because the children have a better knowledge of God and Jesus Christ. As for our investigator Hna Yule...she isn't doing much because they recently moved houses and it ate up all their time. We hope to meet with her tonight.

My time is about up. I feel I had a neat scripture to share with you, but it has slipped from my mind about now. THanks for all the love and support and reminders to be happy and enjoy myself. I need those sometimes! And THANK YOU for the prayers. I definitely need those as we search for the people who are ready to listen, learn, and ACT.

Send my love to all the family and the ward. The church is true and Jesus Christ lives and we have so much hope in our lives because of it!

Love,
Hermana Green

No comments: