Sunday, January 17, 2010

12 January 2010 - Jericho's Warriors

Family,

The year started off great! We were Jericho's Warriors this past week. WOO HOO! It's a title you earn in the mission by getting all the weekly mission standards. It takes hard work, but we finally did it. And it was so rewarding! The awesome thing is that if you get the weekly standards consistently the promise is one baptism per month. Oh yeah!

And yesterday was Zone Conference. ah! So, so good. So much to work on and improve, but I just love being re-charged for the work. How could this gospel not be the truth? Sometimes I think people would be converted if they just really took a look at all the church does. And how we trust missionary work to 19-yr-old young men and 21-yr-old young women....and it works!

So I played the piano in zone conference and Hna Talbot and I sang "Lead, Kindly Light" for the musical number. It went fine. We had it up our sleeve (sort of) and it was a good thing. We thought we were safe from doing anything of the sort, but Sun. evening at 8:30 pm the zone leaders called and enlisted our help. Talk about late minute.... I have not had to play in sacrament again. A gentleman played the organ so maybe I'll be safe.

Exciting news about investigators - two of them were at church on Sunday. Hurray! That is a huge thing in helping them progress towards baptism, but also really hard. Bianca (8) came with her aunt and uncles. She has a bap date and her mom does too but her mom works on Sun. Then a younger mother, Diana, was there. She's pretty golden. AP's taught her once then referred her to us since she wanted to learn in Spanish. She brought her 5-yr-old son Lucas who loved Primary and didn't want to leave even though they didn't eat anything and were hungry. YES! Sadly, Belem was not there. She is not doing anything to live the commandments she needs to live so we are not currently teaching her now. She's been taught everything (and some things 2 and 3 times). It's sad but how it goes.

We had a neat experience on Saturday of contacting a young girl who invited us into her house where we taught her, her mom, and her grandma. Hurray! That doesn't always happen. As Sis. Brady said yesterday: we are the sifters. And Elder Perry (?) has taught that at any given moment 1/3 of the world is positive to receive the message, 1/3 neutral and 1/3 negative.

So in Zone Conference we went back to the basics - Finding people. And it was great. We discussed and practiced 10-sec contacts. Woo hoo! They are hard, but so good. We really have to think about it and cut things down so we say just what needs to be said. It's interesting because in the Spanish culture they are so much more willing to stop and talk to you for 5 minutes about God.

I also had a very good interview with Pres. Brady. He's just wonderful and I respect and love him. And Sis. Brady, too. It was great to see her. A ward in the area provided lunch for us which was fabulous. And then in the evening we got right back to work. With the help of a member - Hna Lourdes (had both holiday dinners at her house). It was great as she jumped right in and started the contacts before we could. ha ha. Love it.

I'm about out of time. SO good to hear that you are studying the scriptures. I KNOW it makes our days better and makes us better servants of God, better people, and more firm in our knowledge and testimonies. I love you all so much and pray for you!

Love,
Hermana Green

No comments: