Tuesday, April 13, 2010

13 April 2010 - Fabulous Family

Hola!

You are fabulous....did you know that? Thanks so much for the support and love. And thanks for remembering me, even though your lives are busy :) Especially you, Mom. You've done a super fabulous job on the packages and talks. And I did love reading the setting-apart blessing. Thanks so much for sending off the go bag package. I'm looking forward to it. And I'll just have to share with Hna Pechin, I guess. I do love to spread the calories around - she's very kind in helping me with that :) And thanks, Dad, for the great scarf. It looks great with her clothes. It's fun :) I don't need any more right now....but it would be a good idea to pick up 3 or 4 more. I might request one for my next companion - it's a pretty fun idea.

So we have not had any more earthquakes :( Hna Pechin keeps thinking about it and will randomly say: I don't want to be in this spot when an earthquake comes (because there are trees or big poles around us). It is pretty funny.

Church was wonderful. And our dinner calendar is nearly full for the next 2 weeks - oh si! (Hna Pechin says that a lot and it cracks me up). Our members are pretty fabulous. I'm excited to return and learn how to cook their delicious food [I have such a strong desire to learn how to cook now, it's kinda funny.] We had dinner with Hermana Hobbs this past week and she let us cook some Peruvian food with her. It was fun and we took some pictures.

We are having a ward missionary activity this Friday to get them excited about sharing with their friends. The end goal of us missionaries is that they invite someone(s) to meet with us, preferrably in their home. Have you thought of offering your help in this way family? It's SO great when the members are closely involved and 'fellowship' the investigators. Everything progresses better. And they're so much more likely to remain active and firm in the faith.

We had a FHE last night with the Familia Aviles and our investigator Jorge who has a baptismal date (set in this week). It was good. SUCH a better atmosphere than where he lives. He understands well and seems to really want to change. But he is a little skeptical about being able to repent - it's such a blessing to have the gospel and KNOW the Savior can heal and help us!! He also drinks so we will continue working with that.

I set a goal to read The New Testament again to better understand the life of the Savior - but that was a big goal so I changed it to reading The Gospels. I'm going to accomplish this goal soon - yes! It has been interesting to highlight all the words of the Savior. He talks a LOT in this section. And he has so many lessons on top of each other. I'm excited to go back and really study things closely. It has been wonderful to think of little things throughout the day that He taught the people. And what a blessing that we have more of His words and teachings in the Book of Mormon. I know it is the word of God and I'm grateful to testify of it often and help others have more happiness by reading it. That will probably be my next study - the Book of Mormon (again :)

We had a good lesson with Jose Luis and Lucia about the Law of Chastity. It was silly of us to wait so long, but they understood well. We were blessed to be able to convey that it is a very serious sin but we can always repent and the blessings of living the law are incredible. Lucia's mom was actually there too. She's pretty much on our side :) They have been "together" for about 25 years now, just never got married. Jose Luis practically proposed in the lesson - it was sweet. And they're planning to marry in May when his family is here for a visit. Yeah!! So that is a big hurdle to jump over before they can be baptized. But it is exciting to see things move forward. As Dad said, we just testify and let the Spirit do the rest.

We are also teaching the mom and sister of a young woman who was baptized a year ago. She hasn't come to church since we've been in the area. And our last lesson was good. She sincerely and worriedly asked how we can really know when the Lord is speaking to us and know the truth of these teachings. We are excited to visit with them this evening and see how their prayers went. Her name is Diana. She is well involved in young woman's it seems. Hurray!

I think that is about all from this past week. I love you all and thanks for the updates on your lives. Tell Grandma I think it's so exciting that she is in the YW organization! I'll work to respond to her letter today. And tell Aub and Aunt Kim "Happy Birthday" for me.....and anyone else I've forgotten. (PS Mom, the birthday lists are fabulous!) I love you all. Keep doing the things you know you should. And have Family Home Evening more often - we can always use more strength and lift in our lives and families.

Love you!!!
Hermana Green

No comments: