Sunday, July 11, 2010

6 July 2010 - Eyes the color of the sea

Yep, family, that's what I have. According to Hna Z. She is pretty funny! Right in the middle of the lesson she pulls out that line. And then Hna P and I both remembered back to our first days together when so many people we were talking to in the streets mentioned my eyes. I don't know what has changed, but woo hoo!

We met Pres & Sis Cook on Friday. They are pretty great. Hna Cook sort of, kind of looks like you Mum. It took me a bit to put my finger on it. They took pictures with us and may send them home to you. I have a copy and we plan to print pictures next week. They are from Logan and have 8 children and have no idea what they are doing :) They are wonderful, but very different from the Bradys.

Thank you, thank you for all your love and support!! We don't have tons of investigators right now. We are working on looking for more. We have been knocking on doors of people that talked to missionaries a while back and said they were interested (maybe). It has been an adventure.

We survived just fine on our low funds. Yes, I have money in my personal account but would prefer to not use it. I'm learning all kinds of good lessons on the mission - doing fine with less, going without "essentials", and eating healthier.

Speaking of, we decided to give up sweets and treats along with Hna Rosa giving up smoking (but our time limit was until her baptism.) We stopped by and she was not available for the lesson at all so we haven't talked to her about it. We aren't sure now because she was breaking other important commandments. We actually haven't met with them for a few days now :( Things have changed and we are out of the loop. But what a big sacrifice it will be to give up sweets and treats!! And I realized it is almost my birthday. Hna P's grand solution = they follow through with their baptismal date on July 24 and we have a big cake and ice cream afterward. Yum! We shall see how things go.

Today is rainy and colder. Oh and there are changes in the sisters' clothing rules. Worldwide. One is that nylons are now optional. How crazy is that?! I'm not sure about it - I would feel a little undefended. But when the heat of summer comes I may be very grateful. Oh and the church is changing their preparation for missionaries in a super cool way. A pre-MTC curriculum with PMG so the missionaries go in knowing the doctrine and are trained in the MTC on teaching with the Spirit. So inspired!! Hna P and I have been working on that and have gotten lots better. Hna Roxana Magana told us we are good teachers and explain things well in our lesson on Sunday. Why thank you. It's senior companion, completely.

Oh yeah. Happy 4th of July!! It just made things a touch harder - not as many people home and lots of people out and about that evening - we didn't feel quite as safe in our normal neighborhood. We went to church and taught people the gospel to celebrate :) We did sing 1 verse of the Star Spangled Banner in English at the end of Sacrament meeting. It was powerful and neat. Heavenly Father really did give us this precious, free land. He blesses us in so many ways!

I love you all and hope you are still doing well in your reading and prayers. And how about that temple trip? You should visit the temple in Mexico while you're there - that would be cool.

Love,
Hermana Green

No comments: