31 August 2010 - Where in the world is greenie who now has a greenie?
Hola Familia!
Funny subject line, eh? I think it is pretty great that I am "green" but now have a greenie. Yes, I remember my first night. Phew. It was exhausting and overwhelming. No, I can't believe that it was a year ago - the time has gone scarily fast. I think the one we had here was better. We almost achieved the standards and we were out there on the streets talking to all the people.
I was not holding out on you when I didn't tell you my new area - I didn't know where it was! Our mission is small so we all gather in a church and sit at the feet of the president who reads off your name and your companion's name and your new area. Then you have a few minutes to gather mail and supplies, snap pictures, move luggage and run off to your new home and ward family.
So. I am in San Marcos and Escondido. Woo hoo! And there were two sisters serving in this area before me. One returned home and the other is semi new and in a different area. The ward had 1 set of sisters and 1 set of elders. But now it has 1 set of sisters (us!) and 2 sets of elders. Just yesterday they changed the area lines again and took away a fabulous chunk of area from us and gave it to the elders opening the new area to the west of us. Go figure that one of the elders is the same one that was there in Oceanside when the same thing happened! Ha ha. He keeps asking me to not hate him. I don't.
My companion and trainee is Hermana Melanie Merrill from Richland, WA. She is pretty great. Her Spanish is quite good too. She has so much drive to just talk and share her testimony with the people. And she wants to be very obedient. She is helping me discover little things that I can be better at. We've had a good first week together. Her younger brother is currently serving in Ecuador and her older brother served and is now married. Her younger sister is with her parents and attending school. She studied at BYU for 3 years in the music department. She is an incredible singer and great piano-player. (yes! no more calls upon my limited skills.) Her birthday is Sept 9th, if you want to send anything cool for her (and I could use those 2 black garbage bags to store my luggage outside on our patio). I have a scarf still that I plan to give to her :D
The Spanish ward here is called Las Posas and it is AWESOME. The members are excited and supportive. And the ward has had about 12 new members join in the past year. Or more. Last night we had an FHE at a member's home. The Parra and Pena Families. They moms are sisters and I guess they take super great care of the sister missionaries. Their two adult daughters are willing to join us for lessons as well. Oh si! It's great. And we met a fabulous recent convert couple. My face hurt from smiling so much in our time with them in their little rented room.
What else, what else. Life is great. I'm feeling less stressed and more comfortable because I am coming to know the area, we know our investigators and have found a few new ones, and we have met some ward members. Also it is GREAT that I can clean everything today. Oh my it has been hard to live in such dirtiness. I had a rewarding experience hand-spraying our car earlier. I've missed that type of car wash! Fancy, expensive Orange County didn't have any. And then the house will be cleaned later. I thought about buying wipes on our shopping run the first day here, but didn't. I've surely regretted it. Yuck. How do people live with such dirtiness?! All is well. I will spend time making it shine. And then I'll be able to work even better.
So on to the people in the area. We arrived and the sisters were teaching a handful of people, some of whom have been learning for a long time - that is hard. We need to find the key to help them unlock their concerns and jump over their hurdles so they can be baptized and confirmed! One family seems pretty on track and just have to wait a few more months for legal issues. We taught them the first night and it was pretty good. Then we found a new couple the other day. And last night we were in the apartment complex and the wife saw us, jumped up, and quickly walked toward us with her arms open for hugs calling "green!" That was my tender mercy for the day. (Hna Merrill and I talk about tender mercies each night. It's neat.) I'm excited to help them continue learning and improving by living the gospel.
Oh p.s. The gospel is true! I KNOW it. Yesterday we had a good district meeting talking about inviting people to make commitments (as Dad mentioned again they all have their agency.) It helped me realize I need to be more excited and happy in the day. Then others will want the truth more. And it just makes my life better. So I had a change of mindset and yesterday was so much better. Hurray! We've been doing some foot work visiting people who formerly expressed interest. It's good stuff.
A super rewarding moment at the transfer meeting last Tuesday was seeing two sisters waving excitedly from the back where the members who drive missionaries sit. It took a while for my brain to bring names to the familiar faces. It was Mari Arango and Rocio! WOW. Mari, who I worked with my entire time in Oceanside/Carlsbad. And Rocio who lives in the house and is their good friend. She listened for a time, but at the end was a bit angry and didn't want to visit with us. I had a few moments to visit with them afterward. Rocio kept asking if I was happy, because I was tearing up. I had to say "my heart is so happy". And what is even more, Mari has been to the temple to do baptisms for the dead and Rocio is going to be baptized soon. YES! This really is the most happiness we've ever experienced as people embrace the truth and come closer to their Heavenly Father.
*sigh* Life is just fine. I love you all so much and am so grateful for your prayers and support. As the transfer meeting began and I was feeling the responsibility upon my shoulders (after having a 20-min trainer meeting and realizing just how much depends on me) I realized that you had probably read my e-mail by then and were saying extra prayers for me and my new situation. Thank you, thank you!
I love you. Time to run.
Love,
Hermana Green
PS Going to transfer meeting was hilarious. All 7 missionaries from the ward in one SUV with Hna Diana Valdivia. With jelly bellies provided with her and luggage tied on the top with borrowed rope from her boss. She rocks. We had a great time. Wrote a group letter to one of the elders' friends.
PPS My trainer Hna Talbot came to this area after training me and trained Hna Pechin here for 1 transfer and then Hna P came with me to Mission Viejo. Small world, eh? It's funny to come in behind them.
No comments:
Post a Comment