Hello wonderful family,
How can it be October already? That's just so crazy. Seems like a month ago was Feb when I decided to serve, then a few weeks ago was June when I FINALLY received my mission call. Now here it is October and I've already completed a month of my mission. I just can't figure time out. I thought of a good way to explain my confusion:an hour of study seems like five minutes -- while thirty seconds of exercise seems like an hour. No wonder I get so confused!
My P-day started this morning at 6:30 am when I woke up. Then it ends at dinner time (5:30 pm) when I have to get dressed back up. After dinner, we study some more then have class with one teacher. At 9:30 we start laundry then write letters like crazy. We do sack lunch (pick it up in our P-day clothes at a different entrance. Must be dressed up to enter the cafeteria) and study. Then we get to the Temple around 2:30 pm. Today we are hoping to do some sealings! We've done 2 sessions and 1 'batch' of initiatories up to this point. Last week we got to do 3 family names for the 2nd counselor in our branch presidency. That was neat. That's about all on P-day. We've gotten pretty good at getting everything done.
So Sunday at Sacrament meeting, we got a bunch of changes! My district was rockin' the house. A district departed early Monday morning and the two zone leaders were in that district (they sang 'O My Father' in the mtg). So we needed new zone leaders. Lo and behold, they announce two elders from my district. Surprise! It will be great. Elders Bishop and Mills. Then it was time to switch out the district leaders so Elder Moore was released as our district leader and Elder Rhoten assigned. Another little surprise, but just right. Also, Bro. Stone (whose names we did at the temple) was released from the branch pres :( I'm going to miss him and his wife. They are going to serve in a different branch at the MTC that needs them (Spanish-speaking branch with 2 non-Spanish speaking presidency members. He served in Uraguay/Paraguay so knows Spanish). I haven't really met the new 2nd counselor and his wife. (or maybe it's 1st counselor....uh oh). But I feel connected to them already! They returned from a mission (or mission presidency, not sure) in Korea in April. So they know the feeling of going from Asian speaking to Spanish speaking.
One sad thing is that I can no longer receive hugs from the wonderful women of the branch leadership. So sad! I decided I LOVE Sundays because of all the female companionship. But flu season is upon us and the MTC presidency has re-instated the rule of no handshakes, hugs, etc. Just no touching. Our little bubbles of personal space just got a lot bigger. And it's weird. It was already hard to only give a handshake to people, now we can't even give that!
Mom, we did not see Gen. Women's Conference last week. They recorded it and we'll watch it while the Elders watch Priesthood Session on Sat. Smart idea, huh? I'm really excited for it. Sis. Margaret D. Naduald and her husband spoke at our Tuesday Devotional. I didn't recognize her at first. But I knew her as soon as her name was announced (former YW president for those who don't know). I don't have my notes on what they talked about....sorry. Hermana Denker is an aerobics instructor pretty much. I do kickboxing workouts with her most gym periods. This time she explained a move as 'golfing with your foot'. I thought of Dad :)
Something neat I discovered while reading about the Atonement in Jesus the Christ (fabulous book!!) - "Even while he was in anguish in Gethsemane, Savior's supreme desire was the accomplishment of the Father's will." Pretty cool and a tough goal, but so important. I also like Helaman 3:35 where it talks about ' yielding your heart to God '. I'm still working on that. Let's see, big news for next week = we're teaching the first lesson in Spanish. AH!!! But it will be fine. We feel (Hna Sargent and I) like Spanish is starting to click. We understand more so now we memorize phrases and can see how they got it. Versus just memorizing unkown words and then spitting them back out.
It sounds like I will live with members when I'm in California. Rent is so expensive in Southern Cali. The ' investigator ' that we taught at the TRC on Tues told us missionaries live with her mother in San Diego area because it helps the church's budget so much. We'll see!
It seems you've forgotten so I'll remind you: Hermana Denker and I are both headed to California Carlsbad. Hermana Sargent is headed to Paraguay. Along with 6 of the elders. The other two (our current zone leaders) are headed to Mississippi and Oklahoma.
I hope I've covered enough for this week. It's funny how anxious all 3 of us get for this time. Only 30 minutes and one shot! Can't mess it up.... :)
Thank you to everyone who sent letters this week! (Including Tiff, Grandma, and Aunt Theo). I've decided it's easiest to respond to letters with letters. So watch for those in the mail.
PS Mom, thanks so much for the weather head's up!! Could you possibly send a 10-day weather forecast each week? That would be appreciated by my companions, and my roommates too. Most of us are asking for weather predictions, but we can't do anything about it. It has gotten cold here. No bueno. Especially because I woke up with a sore throat on Tues. I'm fighting it like crazy. I can't be sick because I'll have to miss class! I will not get sick -- that's my mantra right now. :)So I'll send a letter today with my little wish list items and a few pictures :D
Love you all so, so much! Thanks for the love and support. As always, if you have a question let me know. And a letter might be the best assurance of getting a response. Gotta go! One minute and counting.
Hermana Green
PS Love you, Elder Green!! I sent a letter to you last week.
No comments:
Post a Comment