Thursday, October 29, 2009

22 October 2009 - Departure is Looming . . .

That's right! I am leaving this wonderful place pretty soon (and it does feel like prison sometimes). We expect our travel plans today. Yikes! First, I'm pretty sure I only call you once from the airport, Mom. You expected twice? ha ha. Good one. And we did get to escape from this 'prison' for a short time on Tuesday. Hna Sargent had an irritated rojo ojo (red eye) so they sent her to an opthamologist (sp?) in Orem. It was pretty sweet. Hna Denker was soaking it up. The office was nicely furnished and played music. Oh heaven! I've missed music a lot. I am excited to have it out in the field. Speaking of, I need to find some classical music that fits the President's standards since I love instrumental stuff.
I studied Fe en Dios (faith in God) this past week for the situation in the TRC and I found so many great scriptures in Alma 32 and I was excited I could share them with the investigator. (although I didn't end up sharing any :) It really is a fabulous chapter on faith!
Sunday was a great day and full of stuff. Here we go. 1) I was called on to give a talk, after an elder in my district E. Steren. Yeah, surprise! It went okay, but I had a lot of scriptures and didn't realize it until I was up there :) It was about Jesus Christ. My main scripture was Alma 5:33-35. Love that one! His arms are open and extended to all people.
2)Sis. Margaret Lifferth was the speaker in Relief Society. And we shook her hand! We were on the stand because Hna Denker gave her conversion story (a sister shares one each week) which was fabulous and neat. So Sis. Lifferth shook my hand and Hna Sargent's hand. Then we asked each other who it was. We didn't know. They got up and announced it and I wanted to smack myself in the forehead. Should've known that one! Here are some tidbits: Satan makes us doubt ourselves ~ so think about your strengths ~ Power of God is so important and necessary. How do we access it? -obedience -prayer -priesthood -temple ordinances -word of God -Atonement. It was great!!
3)At choir the director said something neat at the end: "Isn't it amazing what can happen in 1 hour at the MTC?" It really is! Especially when I think of study time or teaching appointments. Love being a missionary!
4) Richard I Heaton, administrative director of the MTC spoke at the Sun. evening fireside. It was great too. He focused on Teaching by the Spirit. And he gave us a definition which PMG never does. So helpful! Here it is: "say and do and feel what Lord would say, do, feel if He were the one teaching the investigator". And it was helpful to hear and learn about this topic because, as he said, often missionaries have a hard time knowing if they are teaching by the spirit. Elder Bednar told the missionaries: "be always seeking and not worrying". One last thing - remember the real teacher is the Holy Ghost and he is given by the prayer of faith.
5) After the firesides on Sunday we get to watch a movie. So nice to relax! {Sundays are so fabulous. Spiritual feasting, female companionship, and a little relaxation.} So we went and watched "The Gift of Teaching" by Elder Holland. It was from a leadership training meeting. It was really good. He taught a true class in the church building about the topic. I knew most the class members - important people we see at general conference :) And we (the audience) were the 16th class member. He made us laugh when he used a few Spanish phrases. "mas o menos" ha ha! yes. Spanish rocks.
The Tuesday devotional was great too. Elder and Sister Robbins of the Seventy. I loved how she said there were no 'greenies' in their mission (presided over Uruguay Montevideo Mission in the late 90's). They called the newly-arrived missionaries "golden" because they had the MTC spirit and were so energized and excited. Then Elder Robbins focused on using time wisely and that was very helpful. "success is planned, not luck" "Heavenly Father would be disappointed if we returned to Him without anyone else." One thing that really struck me before the Devo even started- We sing a few hymns before. We sang "I Believe in Christ" and one line really struck me: I believe in Christ, so come what may. What a great line!! I really needed to hear that. I'm here to be a missionary and I believe in Christ and know He will help me with whatever happens. So anything can come, and I'm ready because of my belief, knowledge, and faith.
Isn't the gospel amazing!? During companion study yesterday, we read in PMG about new converts and saw a few references to an address by Pres Hinckley so we looked it up online (love technology). It's called "Find the Lambs, Feed the Sheep". It is SO, SO good. From a satellite broadcast given in 1999 (and it's in the May 99 Ensign) about missionary work. I got so excited and ready to be out in the field working and helping true people with true concerns find Christ and come unto Him. I highly recommend everyone read it. He talked a lot about members and how important they are to missionary work. I know it and I'm still in the MTC!!
Oh yikes. Not much time left. Thanks, Mom for the weather forecast. Keep it coming. I'm sorry the family has so much sickness. Thanks for the news about Patrice. In my prayers. Regional Conf sounds great. Coordinating sister is the leader for all the sisters (like a district leader) to communicate w/priesthood leaders so we are taken care of. Probably only in the MTC.
I received a bunch of letters this week!! Thanks so much for helping me chastise people. 3 friends on one day, Chez, JJ, card from Lhing & Khanh. Letter from Aub (finally). Thanks, thanks! I love letters and will have serious writer's cramp soon. Mom said: relax and enjoy the moment. ha ha! When? Seriously no time for that. P-day is worst of all.
Dad, I do have the new Espanol Bible. I was part of the first group to receive it since it was published just before I came into the MTC. I like it but wish it had a BD and TG too. Those are so helpful! My zone is great. We don't see them all that much. I guess it helps we are all learning Spanish :) And Mom should have a recipe to make Cap'n Crispies. Do it!
I love you all so much!! keep studying your scriptures, praying, and sharing the gospel.
Love,
Hna Green

No comments: